Universal Search combines all the information within Google's Vertical engines/databases (for example Google News, Video and Images) into one index to serve a single set of SERPs (Search Engine Results Pages). When you do a search, rather than just getting websites from their main index, you will also get results from the News, Images, Video, etc databases as well.
Top 5 Ways To Participate in Google's Universal Search:
- Google Image Search: Optimize your images with descriptive, keyword-rich file names and ALT tags. Use accurate descriptions of your image files for the benefit of those who might need to view the site in text only format.
- Google Video (beta): Use descriptive, keyword-rich file names for your video files. Also create a keyword-rich title tag, description tag, and video site map.
- Google News: Submit your press releases for display as news, and also as a new content page on your site.
- Google Maps (Google Local): Give your site a local presence through the Google Maps Local Business Center where local businesses can get a free basic listing to extend their reach in the SERPs.
- Google Blog Search (beta): Use social media and Blog engines to drive traffic to the site. Submit to the Google Blog search and have your Blog help boost you in the new world of Universal Search.
SOURCiS provides comprehensive Search Engine Optimization and Search Engine Marketing. Contact Ron @ SOURCiS for more information.